This book from William Henry and Michael Penny is much more than a commentary. It is a verse by verse exploration and discussion.
The authors first examine what a passage would have meant to the original first century Philippians, before seeking applications for 21st century Christians.
Each chapter of the book deals with a particular passage in Philippians in a number of ways.
- First, the Big Issues set out the main points of the passage
- Then the passage is Explored with helpful insights into the historical setting of first century Philippi and the issues of that day
- This is followed by a set of Comprehension Questions on the passage
- Next, the passage is Discussed in a manner which takes what has been learnt and discusses it, using it to direct light onto today’s Christian experiences
- Each chapter concludes with a set of Contemplation Questions on the passage.
The result is a study guide to Philippians which balancses well researched historical information with practical lessons for today’s Christian.